Twigs Discussion Guide & Writing Prompts
TWIGS by Alison Ashley Formento
Merit Press/F+W Media 2013
TWIGS Discussion Questions and Writing Prompts
Twigs starts college at a school where she doesn’t know anyone. She begins the first day anxious and tired because of a bad night’s sleep. She also has a hard time finding her first class and arrives late.
- Write about your first day at school.
- Here are some sample questions to help you write about your experience.
- Were you excited, nervous, or afraid?
- Did you know any other students?
- Who was the first person you spoke to when you arrived at school?
- Did you get lost in the building? Or have trouble opening your locker?
- Did you have all of the right school supplies?
- Did your teacher make you feel welcome?
- Who did you sit with or talk to in the cafeteria?
- Did you make any new friends?
Twigs loses her phone and people are lost or missing in her life, too. She’s not sure where her dad is and there’s a mystery about her brother in the Army, too. She has feelings of frustration, anger, and sadness in dealing with these various losses.
Have you ever lost something important to you? A favorite piece of clothing, toy, or beloved stuffed animal? Or something important you need for school like a signed permission slip for a field trip?
Write about your experience when you’ve lost this important item.
- Where did you look?
- How long did you search?
- Did you ask others for help?
- Did you feel a particular way because of losing this item?
- Did you find what was lost?